Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wandering

"Quiet Hours"   copyright 2011, Caris Cerdwyn, all rights reserved.
Took this photo the other day on a walk.  Misty.  Old farm buildings.  Madeline the dog wandering to her hearts content.  Isn't it grand to wander in the wee hours of the morning?  When no one is about except oneself, and joy is tugging you to look for just the right scene.

Talk about wandering...last evening at the Tuesday women's writer's group, we laughed hard and long.  So many funny stories.  One of the phrases we wrote about was "The Monkey on the Mantle."  It was hilarious the way that for so many of us, the monkey was a dark figure.  In my particular story he was a theif.  It was the kind of story I never write, and so when I read it, I used my dramatic voice.  I was embarrassed.  It was just so far from what I consider "me," that it was hard to read it out loud.  And of course I couldn't just read it, I had to make fun of it.  Which was a success.  I found a way to make them laugh!  Which made me really happy.  So much of what I write is inspiring, but I don't have the kind of humor several of the women in the group have.  I have envied that.  It was nice to be one of the funny ones last night.

A minister friend was coming to the writing group, and found that it breathed new life into her sermon writing.  Fun!  Sermon writing fun?  We had a large number last night.  We grow, bit by bit.  And that is wonderful!

So give it a try...write for 10 minutes, keep your hand moving, try not to think or censor, go for the juggular, and remember that you're free to write the worst stuff in the world!  Write about the phrase:  "The monkey on the mantle." Let your mind and your writing wander.  Enjoy yourself!



Anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment