Thursday, August 18, 2011

Mysterious Gifts

Geese in the Mist    Copyright 2011, Caris Cerdwyn, All rights reserved
Another photo from yesterday morning, and our walk at the reservoir.  When we first came down the path Madeline and I both heard something in the woods to the left.  It sounded like a dog barking at first.  But then I realized it was a goose.  The sounds that came from the forest yesterday were so mysterious.  First the geese, a mystery that resolved itself.  Then there was some loud knocking sounds.  I am guessing it was a woodpecker.  Why do they always surprise me?  And then there were loud, snapping twigs.  That made me a little nervous, though with Madeline there I feel a bit more secure.  The mist made everything feel more mysterious, and maybe even dangerous.  Though what is dangerous about a bunch of geese on the water?

A stream which has run for many years down into the lake, seems to be changing course.  The creekbed was dry yesterday, but I could hear running water upstream, and on the other side of the dry ditch was lots of water and mud.  So we didn't continue past the creek, which we usually do.  There's a delightful path down through tall grass near the water.  (Where I took the dragonfly photo.)  You are completely obscured from everything and everyone else for a while, and then you can go to little clearings down by the water, where sometimes people fish.  And speaking of fish, a large one jumped up from the water yesterday as I was walking.  No, I didn't see it.  Only heard and saw the big splash.  I am never looking in the right place when a fish jumps.  I always wonder how people get those photos.  

Seek out some beauty today and be sure to try and make someone laugh.  And surprise someone with a kindness.  Love this world and the people in it.  Life goes by so quickly.  And when it comes around, enjoy that delicious sense of mystery that gives you goose bumps, and so often reveals some lovely, extraordinary surprise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment