Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Times, they are a changin'



I wonder what the world here will look like when the rain stops.  It was windy yesterday, so I imagine that many leaves have blown off the trees, and we're that much closer to winter.  It's odd to think about winter this year.  If all goes according to plan, I will be where it is warmer, mostly mild temperatures.  A green Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It will be my first.  Will I miss the snow?  I know that living in a climate where there isn't a change of seasons would be difficult for me over the long term.  Springtime and it's elegance here is something to be cherished.  The trees dressed up in such lovely, light greens and the wildflowers are supremely beautiful.  The summer I wouldn't miss.  Especially if I lived in a mild climate...not the desert.  But the autumn...it has always been my favorite season.  I love to pile on the blankets and snuggle in at night.  I love the smell of dry, crunchy leaves (though not so much when it's a really damp autumn.  Then it smells a bit like dirty laundry)   Then of course there is the apple cider, and all those apple trees, domestic and wild that are heavily laden with fruit.  When I was younger, I loved the hay rides on cool nights, and the warm bonfire afterwards where hot dogs roasted on long sticks and marshmallows were sweet and sticky and warm after getting toasted in just the right way. 


There is something about the changing seasons that resonates with our lives.  We pass through different seasons in our physical, emotional, mental and spiritual lives.  Would eternal youth really be such a blessing?  I don't think so.  When my time here is up, it will have been enough, and I'll be ready for some new adventure...or maybe a good rest.  My hair is filled with more and more silver and gray these days.  And that is alright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment