Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Golden...

The Golden Goose    copyright 2011, Caris Cerdwyn, All rights reserved

Yesterday I was scanning through a book about weight loss and spirituality that someone had told me about.    I have to confess that I don't read much "new age" philosophy.  It seems they have everything so neatly tied up in a bow...but mostly because it tends to be judgmental of peoples' suffering.  I haven't the patience. 

The author of this particular book begins the first chapter outlining the many reasons people overeat, including backgrounds of physical or sexual abuse, etc.  And then she closes the chapter by saying that if you have a problem with food, its idolatry.  Wow...that's sure to draw people in!  Encouraging.  Hopeful.  (Do you hear the sarcasm here?)   No doubt it's true that food is golden to some, used to do numb the pain of the past.  But wouldn't it be wonderful to meet a human being who doesn't engage in idolatry of some sort?  I suppose Jesus fit the bill.  But for the rest of us, there is a day to day reality that draws us back to that golden calf.  It is hard to trust God when you're wandering in the wilderness.  Life is difficult.  And that's the reality.  People do all sorts of self destructive things to deal with their pain.  You are fortunate if you're not daily struggling to keep your life in some sort of balance.   Food, drugs, alcohol, gambling, sex...those are the kinds of addictions that push people out of social circles.  Those kinds of problems aren't socially acceptable.  Of course if you're wealthy, enjoy having power, have a need to be center stage all the time, work too much, or even worship your family...well those things are ok.  In fact, people often go to great lengths to spend time with some of those people.

I may end up reading the book and trying to do the work that she suggests.  But I will probably have to do some work releasing my resentments at yet another denigration of people who are overweight.  It's a good market...books about weight loss certainly feed into this culture's addiction to beauty and youth.  Diet books A real golden goose.

Oh well.  I have to deal with my own golden calf, not point fingers at someone else.  I'm always hopeful that someone, someday may have some wisdom to bring to the table...as it were. 

No comments:

Post a Comment