Thursday, September 8, 2011

High Waters

"The Susquehanna, Otsego County, NY"
With all the stories about flooding, no one seems to mention the stench of death which goes along with it. It smelled really bad when I went down to the river today to look around.  Not many people out.  We probably shouldn't have been there.  People that were out were there to look at the damage and the wild water probably should have stayed where it was safe.  We get this false sense of safety standing there, just beyond the river's reach we think.  But the parking lot could have been washed away in an instance, and we could have been washed away as well.  My own sense of fear was heightened as I stood there, so close to the raging water.  It splashed up close to my foot once and my heart started to jump around.

Many places downtown were open this afternoon.  But not out near the mall on route 23.  The flood is sobering.  And it makes me want to find other people to be around.  It makes me want to know that I'm not cut off and alone. 

The rain has held off this afternoon here.  But other places aren't so fortunate.  There's some blue sky from time to time through the clouds and I'm singing my blue sky song and visualizing the sun coming out to dry up all the rain, so the itsy bitsy spider can crawl up the spout again.  You know, we are pretty itsy bitsy when it comes to forces of nature.  We are vulnerable and small, and as many have experienced over these days, our lives can be washed away in seconds. 

My prayers are with the people who are afraid and grieving and feeling as though life is impossible in this moment.  May they know they are not alone.  Let's be good neighbors and reach out as we can.  Also, prayers for the people effected by the fire at St. James Food Pantry.  There couldn't be a worse time for it to happen.  So many are in need of it.

Caris

No comments:

Post a Comment