Monday, September 26, 2011

Favorites

"Too Tall!?"  copyright 2011, Caris Cerdwyn, All rights reserved
Cosmos are some of my favorite flowers.  My "anam cara" or soul friend laughs at me and tells me that I say that about every flower.  I guess that is true.  Lilacs are my favorite when they appear in the spring, sending their fragrance all over creation.  Hisbiscus are now one of my favorite flowers as well.  Deep red and passionate.  I've discovered a hisbiscus cooler at the Yellow Deli you should try.  It's a taste of heaven.  Lily of the Valley have been my favorite ever since a friend compared me to them when I was in college.  And cosmos are just such friendly flowers, and I love pink.  I mean how can you choose between flowers?  I'll take them all!  Please.  Flowers brighten my day in a way that only good news at the mechanic's can come close to!  I always remember when I moved from Nebraska to go to school at Concordia College in Bronxville.  Waiting in my room was a big bouquet of flowers from dear friends, sisters, Sarah and Shirley who knew I loved flowers.  They, the flowers, were treasured during those first days of adjusting to a new school, knowing that old friends held me close in their hearts.

The cosmos above are late in the season...the photo taken just before the first frost.  Did they survive?  T., owner of the cabin where I usually stay when I visit Ithaca, had been thinking about cutting them back as they were so tall and often in the way.  Just not practical to have these tall, gangly flowers reaching out over the sidewalk when you're trying to carry groceries into the house.  Yeah.  Flowers aren't always practical.  Beauty doesn't always fill that bill.  But they do something for the soul.   "When you have only two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf with one and a lily with the other."  A Chinese Proverb   Lily, cosmos, lilacs, a rose (the wild roses are delicious during June in Oregon!  Oh, and the wild iris that grow on the coast in May are exquisite...
A last wild iris the end of May in Bandon, Oregon.  Photo by C. Schroeder, All rights reserved, copyright 2011.

Oh dear...start me on the subject of flowers and I'm perfectly hopeless!

No comments:

Post a Comment