Friday, September 30, 2011

Asking for Help

ART?  You've got to be kidding!!!   Copyright 2010, C. Schroeder, All rights reserved
Okay, so my life is a bit disorganized at the moment.  I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.  Breathe Caris.  Just breathe.  Focus.  Do your meditation.  Do your study.  Do some writing.  Talk to your shrink.  And then take things one step at a time.  Ask for help.  

There used to be this 7 year old at a summer camp in Brooklyn that I helped to run, and his favorite expletive was "Oh Man!!!"  Of course you can't hear his small voice that used to rise a couple of octaves in his exclamations.  His name was Jose.  I remember that.  Curly hair.  Big green eyes.  Scrappy little guy.  I often hear him in my head when something is frustrating me or scaring me or being a huge disappointment.  And it still makes me smile.  It helps a little bit. 

The photo above was taken last summer at THE WASHED ASHORE PROJECT in Bandon, Oregon.  And no, this isn't art...not yet.  That was dependent on the artist's vision and creativity.  I don't know how she managed it, but she transformed this ugly, awful garbage (largely plastic), which came off the beaches in Bandon and the surrounding area, into some marvelous creations.  A sea turtle.  A giant squid.  Henry, the fish which sat in front of the purple yurt.  he was orange and yellow.  You can see his beginnings below.  The artist's name is Angela Hazeltine Pozzi, and the link to the project is Washed Ashore Project Visit and enjoy yourself.  

The thing is, that project would never have gotten off the ground except for the dozens, perhaps hundreds of volunteers.  People who showed up to work once or twice a week, or sometimes just an evening on their way to someplace else.  Angela knew when to ask for help.  And the help came.  It wasn't an easy thing, I spent the summer there last year, and saw some of the realities.  But it was amazing how the people came.  A grant writer, a personal assistant, writers, musicians, environmentalists.  
Well, we have to ask, don't we.  It's like the guy who prayed to win the lottery but never bought a lottery ticket.  Asking is the hardest thing in the world for some of us.  I'm not sure why I find it so difficult.  I am usually feeling vulnerable and at my wit's end before I ask.  So here we are, almost into October, and I need to be packed up and ready to go by the beginning of November, with everything in place and figured out before then.  Mail forwarding.  How do I do things with the RV?  How does the electrical stuff work?  Can I get a car alarm installed, some kind of security system?  I want to have a motor scooter, so I have some transportation that doesn't cost an arm and a leg in gas.  What's the best scooter to get?  Should I just go buy it?  How does one put stability jacks on an RV?  Where do they go?  How does a Kindle work?  Wouldn't weigh as much as carrying books!  Or should I have gotten an I Pad?  And with all that new knowledge to pick up, I still have the very physical task of packing up.  Okay God, Jesus, Goddess, Spirit, Universe...help me please.  Send me the people who can help me figure this stuff out, and get this stuff done.  I'm so tired, and there's so much to do!







No comments:

Post a Comment