Saturday, July 30, 2011

Stressed Out, Horn-Honking, Angry faced drivers....

public domain photo by Jon Sullivan
Just spent 3 days in Connecticut.  Whew!  Congestion.  Yes, I was coughing a bit, but from the title above you can guess what I mean by congestion.  The traffic is intense, and my Connecticut friend tells me that I was probably the target of the horn honking drivers because my license plate was from New York.  Wow!  My Canadian friends used to say some stuff about people from the states that distressed me.  But I didn't realize that one could be disliked so much from state to state.  I guess it's something about New York City people who go up to Connecticut for the weekends.  To relax?  Ha!  Forget that. I contemplated putting a hand printed sign in the back window of my car which said:  UPSTATE NY RESIDENT--nice country bumpkin visiting, please don't honk unless necessary.  I'm REALLY stressed out driving here!

Driving in Connecticut is really involved and confusing.  I usually just took direction from the guy in the next seat who likes to navigate.  Downtown Milford is especially confusing.  It is amusing to me that I used to live in Connecticut.  About an hour from where I was staying the past few days, in Stamford, CT.  Old Greenwich, Greenwich, were my stomping grounds when I was a youngster in my twenties!  Gosh that seems many lifetimes ago.

I did have a good job for a little while when I lived there, but my main memory is of an intentional Christian Community in Stamford.  I was part of the community for two years. 

It was a cult.

Well, my memories of Connecticut are not all that fond.  A strange time in my life, and these days, visiting a friend in that neck of the woods, a place where stressed-out, horn-honking, angry-faced, road-raging drivers scare the heck out of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment