Saturday, July 2, 2011

Child Like

http://all-free-download.com/free-vector 
Images of laughing Buddhas and a laughing Jesus are my favorites.  I also like that the images of laughing Buddhas are so often chubby.  One may think that this image is of the Buddha obtaining enlightenment.  I wonder if perhaps it isn't a single moment of utter happiness.  Laughter comes and goes.  A good hearty laugh that lasts more than a few minutes is rare.  But the thing that brought the laughter can bring smiles and chuckles for a long time to come.  This image seems like childlike wonder and happiness to me.

What do you do to keep a sense of childlike wonder alive?  When do you find yourself looking at something as though you are seeing it for the first time?  How do we nurture that part of ourselves that opens up worlds of wonder in the midst of the every day?  Who do you spend time with that brings you that sense of the possible?  Why bother?  Naw...the real why question is why do we lose that child like thing that makes life so fascinating.

What do I do to keep a sense of childlike wonder alive?  I walk in the woods.  I swim.  I just sit outside and read a book.  I pay attention to the world around me...especially things like puppies and kittens and giggling children.  Sometimes I blow bubbles.  I love waterfalls and ocean beaches, horses at play and walking through the redwood forest. 

You know the "who" in your life.  I think of friends who make me really happy.  Just hanging out together.  Taking a walk, going for dinner, driving down the highway.  Someone who makes me laugh, and feel really alive when we're together.  Someone who can tease me out of a rotten mood, saying the most ridiculous thing imaginable.  Someone who doesn't take herself or himself too seriously...someone who can laugh at themselves and help me laugh at me. 

Jesus said something about the kindom of God really only being available to those who are like children.  Healthy children can play.  they love to be teased.  They can cry at the drop of a hat and in the next moment be laughing again. I don't spend much time with kids these days, but I remember when I did.  They are vulnerable, need protection, need someone to help them learn new things.  And everything in life is new, so learning is constant.  Teachers often speak about that "aha" moment when a child's face lights up because they've made the connection and really understand a concept.

Why do we lose a sense of childlike wonder?  Usually it's because we are taking ourselves much too seriously, or think we don't have something yet to learn.  I can see why Jesus said that...the miraculous is only available to those who live with open hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment