Monday, April 18, 2011

Breakfast at the Pond

Sitting here on the deck, the silence is a lovely thing.  Sunshine is warming the crisp morning air and Papa goose is here for his breakfast.  Mama Goose is sitting on her egg, which one can only hope hasn't frozen, as she laid it very early.  Some brave little bird is eating suet as I am typing here on my computer.  He doesn't seem to be bothered that I am a mere 4 feet away.  However, several others have flown in to fly away again before landing.  A brave chickadee has nabbed a bit of grain.  The birds are making quite the racket, though a few minutes ago the area fell absolutely silent when a hawk circled, searching for some breakfast.  I think she went off to the swamp looking for her morning repast.  At the moment, chickadees and another bird I don't recognize are scolding me for being so close to their food. 

A peaceful, loving existance these birds have.  Well, of course peaceful is relative.  They have the hawk to watch for, and predators that eat their young, and other birds moving in on their territory.  And of course the woman sitting so near their food.  This is most disconcerting.  Another bird call I don't recognize.  I'll have to ask T, who will surely know.  Still, finding food, nesting and singing are their main occupations.  Maybe I can find a way to do that some day.  There are still places in the world where less is more.  I'd like to find a place like that.  I bet you would too.

Caris

No comments:

Post a Comment