Monday, October 1, 2012

Aloha!


public domain photo
 Woke before 4 am this morning.  My sleep patterns have been a bit off.  The full moon seems to have that effect on me.  I'll let you decide what that means!  But here I am at the page, my little cardtable sqeaking away as I write, the beads on my lamp jiggling, a smile on my face.

Lately I've been trying to live more in the spirit of  "Aloha."  Many of you probably know that Aloha means more than hello and goodbye.  It is a blessing.  The Hawaiann people believe that affirming the beauty and goodnes of things and people is a blessing, while complaining about them is cursing them.  So we have a choice each day about how we are going to approach our lives and the world.  None of us can completely avoid complaining.  It's human nature.  But we can outweigh the cursing with blessing, naming and appreciating the goodness in our lives.  I guess it's similar to the movement abroad that is about gratitude.  And when we bless and affirm the goodness of another or of nature, that comes back to us.

No wonder I've had such a rough year this past year.  Whew!  All the complaining I've done in my life is coming back on me!  Augh!  I have a lot of work to do if the blessing is going to outweigh all the complaints!

So, today I will try to bless...even the things that seem less than wonderful.  Today I will try and see the beauty and goodness in all of creation.  It's not hard to see at all.

I think of the Rogue Valley World Ensemble that played and sang for a lively audience last night, their music spilling out, children dancing wildly and happily, old people smiling, tapping feet, holding hands, families spread out over the grass on their blankets and chairs.  Joy!  What a gift of joy!  What enthusiasm!  It's contagious.  There was a new friend sitting next to me, sharing the experience, her face alight with smiles and laughter.  I think of how I went to that concert, my body tense, my heart heavy, the complaints definitely outnumbering the blessings!  And when I left, walking back to my car in the fading light, a harvest moon coming up over the mountains, I felt myself blessed, surrounded by the beauty and peace of this place.  Thank you singers and players of music!  Thank you for lifting our hearts.

Thank you dear reader, for taking the time to come to my blog.  Thank you for reading these words.  Many of you I know well, can see your faces, and I bless you this day.  I bless your open hearts and open minds.  I am grateful for your presence in my life, for the love you bring to this world, and to me!  I feel your smiles, can hear our shared laughter over something we both find funny.  I am grateful for your work in this world...whatever it may be!  Cooking good food; writing, editing, singing, dancing, cleaning bathrooms, building houses, directing, leading, following, caring for children, caring for elders, dreaming dreams!

With some of you there is a daily connection that has blessed me over many years, and for others there is less contact, and yet the contact we have has such depth and gift within it.  And still others are unknown to me, you are mystery out there in cyber space.  I send you love and light, praying that your day is full of surprising joy! 

Well...that was a start for the day, and already my heart is lighter!  That's the beautiful thing about "Aloha!"  The results can be felt immediately. 

Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment