Wednesday, September 19, 2012

From Oregon

Isn't she something? Public domain. Courtesy of Caia Cupito and Ore-Cal RC&D
It has been 11 months since I've left upstate New York and stopped blogging on "She Who Listens."  I am hoping to start up again as I have found a temporary home, which I hope become permanent.  Southern Oregon is a beautiful place to live, and of course Mount Shasta, which is just a couple of hours from here is one of the places that has always spoken to me.  The first time I lived in Oregon, a friend and I drove a U-Haul through the mountains on January 1st.  A fool hardy thing...if I had known, but Spirit and some angels were with us...it was unseasonably warm, and there was rain and sunshine.  We came through Mt. Shasta on I-5, and found ourselves driving through the end of a double rainbow.  There were several more, totalling six rainbows, all the way down into Oregon. 

That was some 19 years ago.  So many changes over the years.  Traffic was always an issue here, but the influx from California has brought much more traffic flow on I-5.  Driving here requires absolute presence to one's driving.  One MUST be on constant alert for bicyclists and people crossing on crosswalks.  And I got a speeding ticket the week before I moved into the small townhouse I'm renting.  50 mph in a 35 mph zone.  I was stressed and not paying close enough attention.  $160!  OUCH!  That felt a bit cruel and unusual for someone on a very limited budget.  I think I'm getting the hang of driving here however.  I just go quite slow and keep my wits about me.  The police department does a good job of keeping order here, and as always, I'm grateful for the people who put their lives on the line, so the rest of us can be safer.  Well, they say "pride goeth before a fall,"  (is that a quakerism?), and I guess I have just been too prideful about my good driving record.  So I better not complain.

Anyone looking for a a nice place to share?   I've started the hunt for a roomate.  Just posted last night, but this isn't an easy place to find housing, and usually there are bundles of applicants for rooms.  I've only gotten one reply thus far...someone from California coming to work at SOU.  We'll see what today brings.

My most recent good news is that I got a piano!  A Charles Frederick Stein, which has a wonderful sound.  I got a good deal on it.  I'm a bit shy about playing it as I don't want to bother the neighbors.  But I'm starting to play a bit again.  And I'm grateful. 

Well...that's my latest news.  We'll see how things go.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment